As a military spouse married to an Active Duty Marine for over 10 years, I know quality military romance books when I read them.
In fact, looking at many of the military romance novel lists, I am shocked that they rarely contain some of the best stories written.
Case in point, Rebecca Yarros is the daughter of two retired military officers and spent 20+ years as a military spouse of an Active Duty Air Force service member. (He is now a retired apache helicopter pilot.) As an author, Rebecca lived through the Iraq and Afghanistan wars while her husband was deployed — and injured! If there is anyone who is most qualified to write a military romance book, it is her. And if you look at all the lists out there, she is absent.
Well, that tells you that most current lists are missing the very best military romance books you’re wanting!
I’ve included an extensive list of true-to-life romance books written by military spouses and veterans.
I’ve also shared my top military romance series which include SEAL romance books, Army romance books, Pararescuemen romance, Delta Force romance and more.
Now if you’re looking for historical military romance, I highly recommend The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer or The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Both five stars! (And if they don’t appear as romance at first glance, trust me and read until the end. You will have a serious book hangover from the love story.)
This list below, however, is mostly modern romances and most are quite steamy.
True-to-Life Military Romance Books
The following books are all written by military spouses or veterans (some retired, some active duty). And in my opinion, these authors know how to craft both steamy romance and military life authenticity.
1. Rebecca Yarros (military spouse) – 3 Best Military Romance Novels
My top recommendation is The Things We Leave Unfinished. But all three are excellent options.
2. Rebecca Yarros (military spouse) – Fight and Glory Series
The majority of this series was written while Rebecca’s husband was an active duty service member. The first four are Air Force romance novels about apache helicopter pilots and the final novel – The Reality of Everything – is a Coast Guard romance.
3. Claire Cain (military spouse)
Lots of books to choose from but these are my top recommendations to start:
4. Jess Mastorakos (military spouse)
If you’re looking for Marine romance novels this is your author!
Jess offers multiple book series including Kailua Marines, Brides of Beaufort, First Comes Love and San Diego Marines. They are all sweet military romances, which means you’ll find sizzling chemistry, swoony kisses, but no steam.
Here are a few of her most popular titles:
5. Jessica Scott (Iraq War veteran)
Jessica has multiple Army romance series including Coming Home Series and The Falling Series. They focus mainly on veterans recently home from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the struggles they face.
6. Lynn Raye Harris (military spouse)
While Harris is a military spouse, I would say her Hostile Operations Team® books are better for those looking to escape into military fantasy than military romance authenticity. Think billionaires, mob bosses, etc.
7. Tarina Deaton (veteran and military spouse)
Deaton also writes more what I would categorize as military fantasy romance in her Combat Hearts series, which includes Army, Air Force and FBI themes.
Top Military-Themed Romance Novel Series
The following authors in the military romance space are the most popular and recommended by avid romance readers, and as you can see, they tend to write complete series on a group of service members.
1. Military Men of Lexington Series by Andrea Johnston
- Promise Her: A Friends to Lovers Romance
- Cherish Her: A Single Mom Romance
- Love Her: A Single Mom Meets Ex-Military Soldier Romance
2. Crimson Point Protectors Series by Kaylea Cross
Most books in the series follow Air National Guard pararescuemen as the main characters.
3. Consolation by Corinne Michaels (Duet Books)
- Book 2 is Conviction by Corinne Michaels
4. The Left Side of Perfect by Meghan Quinn (Duet Books)
- Book 2 is The Right Side of Forever
5. 7 Brides for 7 Soldiers Series (multi-author)
The basic gist: Seven sexy and irresistible soldiers who find their courage and heart tested like never before in the battle for love.
- Ryder (#1) – Barbara Freethy
- Adam (#2) – Roxanne St. Claire
- Zane (#3) – Christie Ridgway
- Wyatt (#4) – Lynn Raye Harris
- Jack (#5) – Julia London
- Noah (#6) – Cristin Harber
- Ford (#7) – Samantha Chase
6. Midnight Delta Series by Caitlyn O’Leary
Each book in the Midnight Delta Series is a romantic suspense stand-alone with its own happily-ever-after, they can be read in any order, however you might enjoy them more sequentially.
- Her Vigilant SEAL
- Her Loyal SEAL
- Her Adoring SEAL
- SEALED With a Kiss
- Her Daring SEAL
- Her Fierce SEAL
- A SEAL’s Vigilant Heart
- Her Dominant SEAL
- Her Relentless SEAL
- Her Treasured SEAL
- Her Unbroken SEAL
7. SEALs of Honor Series by Dale Mayer
8. The Titan Series by Cristin Harber
Standalone Military Romances
1. Nicholas Sparks Novels with Military Theme
2. Rule Breaker By TL Reeve
The Black Ops ROOT series ticks all the boxes with intrigue, danger, suspense, strong likeable characters, and of course sizzling, steamy romance.
2. Marx Girl by TL Swan
Ben is a family bodyguard who broke Bridget’s heart when he left without an explanation five years earlier. He did it to protect her, and now he’s come back to get his girl.
3. Finding His Mark by Brittany Sahin
Full-length standalone off-the-books black ops SEAL team romantic suspense novel with no cliffhanger and a happily-ever-after. Book 1 of 10 in a Stealth Ops series.
4. Finding Lexi By Susan Stoker
Susan Stoker is a well-known first responder romance author who also writes military romances. She has an extensive list of books to choose from, and I’ve chosen two that I’d recommend reading first: Finding Lexi and Protecting Caroline.
This is SEAL Team Hawaii Book 2.
5. Protecting Caroline by Susan Stoker
Protecting Caroline is the 1st book in the SEAL of Protection Series. It can be read as a stand-alone, but it’s recommended you read the books in order to get maximum enjoyment out of the series.
6. The Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
The Kelly Group International (KGI): a super elite, top secret, family-run business that handles jobs the US government can’t. Qualifications: Military background, high intelligence, and a rock hard body.
7. The Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockmann
Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series showcases the blending of intense adventure with sensuous romance. Book 1 is The Unsung Hero, a heart-pounding tale of love that reveals hidden truths and brings two solitary people together against all odds.
8. Dear Aaron by Mariana Zapata
Best slow burn military romance you will read! An Amazon Top 10 best seller.
9. Fighting Redemption by Kate McCarthy
At one time was a #1 Bestselling Military Romance and also received the Goodreads Choice 2014 Nominee for Best Romance.
Note: This is an Australian Army romance book written with Aussie spellings.
10. Heartbreak Warfare by Heather M. Orgeron and Kate Stewart
Heartbreak Warfare is an emotional, gritty, and angst-filled love triangle that will rip your heart out, then hand it back to you in pieces while somehow leaving you grateful for the journey.
11. Pretend You’re Mine by Lucy Score
National Guard romance book.
Luke Garrison is a hometown hero, a member of the National Guard ready to deploy again. He’s strong, sexy, broody. The last thing he’s looking for is a woman to ruin his solitude. When the wildly beautiful Harper stumbles into his life, though, he realizes that she’s the perfect decoy. A fake girlfriend to keep his family off his back until he’s deployed.
Want more on military life?
- 17 Soul-Changing Military Romance Movies
- 75+ Swoon-Worthy Open-When Letters Your Boyfriend Will Obsess Over
- 42+ Top Missing Him Quotes to Send Your Long Distance Boyfriend
- 101 Long-Distance Relationship Quotes That Will Keep the Burn Alive